The County of Stettler has prepared Bylaw No. 1661-21, to amend Land Use Bylaw 1443-10, as amended. Council gave first Reading to Bylaw 1661-21 at the April 14, 2021 Council Meeting. The bylaw is now being circulated for further public review.
Bylaw No. 1661-21 proposes an amendment to Land Use Bylaw 1443-10 by revising Section 95.3 to include Contractors Business – Home Based as a discretionary use in the Country Residence Agricultural (CRA) Land Use District.
Land Use Bylaw 1443-10, as amended provides the following definitions for the proposed use pursuant to Section 8 (Land Use and Building Definitions):
"Contractor's Business" means a light industrial or service-oriented operation for commercial and/or industrial service support and construction, and the building in which a Contractor’s Business is being operated from shall be deemed to be approved as a ‘shop’ when the development permit for the Contractor’s Business is issued. Typical uses include, but are not limited to, oilfield support services, laboratories, cleaning and maintenance, building and construction, surveying, landscaping, concrete, electrical, excavation, drilling, heating, plumbing, paving, road construction, sewage disposal or similar services which require on-site storage space for materials, mobile equipment or vehicles normally associated with the contractor service. Any sales, display, office or technical support service areas shall be accessory to the principal general contractor use. Contractor’s Business does not include any other use that is defined in this Section, such as Sand, Gravel and Surface Mineral Extraction, Auction Mart, Value-added Agricultural Industry, etcetera.
Home Based: when the site of the proposed Contractor’s Business – Home Based or Not Home Based is located within one mile from any existing residence that is located either in the County or in an adjacent municipality:
- the use shall only be allowed in conjunction with a habitable dwelling unit located on the subject parcel that is maintained and occupied by the operator of the Contractor’s Business – Home Based for the lifetime of the business;
- the business shall not employ more than three persons who are not part of the household living on the property; and
- the development permit shall be issued for ‘Contractor’s Business – Home Based’ subject to the conditions listed above as well as those listed below.
- The business shall not create a nuisance beyond the property boundary by way of dust, noise, vibration, odors, or smoke;
- The outside storage of any materials, goods, or equipment shall be subject to the approval of the Municipal Planning Commission; and
- Any on-site retail sales shall be ancillary to the industrial or service aspect of the business.
A Public Hearing on the proposed bylaws has been scheduled for June 9, 2021 at 1:00 pm or as soon thereafter electronically. The Council Meeting, including the public hearing, will be streamed live at YouTube.com/StettlerCounty. You are welcome to join the live public hearing by Zoom at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2371857702 or call in to 587-328-1099 and use Meeting ID: 237 185 7702 with passcode 660244 or by submitting written comments via email to email@example.com prior to June 8, 2021. The hearing will be chaired by the Reeve. Persons wishing to join by teleconference will be requested to state their name and address for the record upon being recognized by the Chair. Council will hear verbal or written submissions from any person who claims to be affected by the proposed bylaw. Persons may make oral presentations via teleconference at the Council meeting, regardless of whether or not they have provided written comments.
For more information about the proposed bylaw and the upcoming public hearing, or to send in comments, please contact Jacinta Donovan, Director of Planning Services, County of Stettler No. 6, Box 1270 Stettler, Alberta, T0C 2L0, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to June 8, 2021.
Following the Public Hearing, Council may proceed with second and third reading to approve the bylaw. Should you require additional information, please contact the Planning and Development Department at (403) 742-4441.
Jacinta Donovan , Director of Planning Services