Municipal Tax Rate




Total Tax Rate



















Non-Residential DIP






Machinery & Equipment






Machinery & Equipment DIP






Tax assessments are completed annually, prior to the tax notices being sent out for Property Taxes. Once the assessments are sent out, the assessment roll is open for viewing by the ratepayers at the County of Stettler Administration Building.

For information on how to appeal at County of Stettler Tax Assessment, click here.

Municipal Transfers

The current rates are:

  • Recreation (County) - 0.0674
  • Recreation (Town) - 0.3170
  • Stettler Waste Management - 0.2711
  • Policing Model - 0.2937

Tax Deadline

The County of Stettler’s tax deadline is always set as the last working day of October at 4:30, when the Administration Office closes. All mailed payments must be postmarked by the post office with the last working day in October to avoid penalties.


A penalty will be added to your account on November 1. A second penalty will be added to the account on February 1 if there is still a balance remaining.

The 2023 Tax Deadline is October 31, 2023

Tax Autopay Program 

If you wish to sign up for the autopay program your taxes have to be paid up to date. The withdrawals will start in January and go through December. For example, the first six months payments will be based on previous year's tax levy. Then once the current year’s tax levy is set, the remaining payments will be split over the next six months.

Paperless Tax Notices

To sign up for paperless tax notices, please fill in the eSend Authorization Form. All fields must be filled in; you can find required information on your current tax and assessment notices. Bring the completed form into the Administrative Office, fax a copy to 403-742-1277 or email it to

Market or Commercial Land 

If a parcel of land is less than one acre, then all the land is assessed at market land values. The market land values are established by the sales that have occurred in the past 3-years.



Farmland property is assessed on the basis of productivity. The productive value of farmland is determined using a set process. This process sets a value for the best soils and then makes adjustments for less-than optimal conditions such as: stones, the presence of sloughs, or topography not conductive to farming practices.


The first three acres of a farm parcel with a residence is assessed at market value - as if it were a subdivided parcel. This is shown as the residential category on your Notice. The residence and buildings used for non-farm use are assessed at market value, as of July 1 of the year preceding the tax year. Farm buildings are exempt from assessment in rural municipalities, to the extent they are used for farming purposes. In urban municipalities, farm buildings are assessed and then exempted from property tax to a level of 50% from both municipal and provincial education tax.


The remainder of the land is assessed on the ability of the land to produce agricultural products. The assessment takes factors such as soil quality, topography, stones, creeks, etc. into consideration. The Farmland Assessment Manual was utilized in preparing farmland assessments.


The Rural Assessment Policy applies the amount of agricultural valued land assessment in the owner's unit as an exemption towards the residence (maximum for principal residence is $61,540 and for secondary residence is $30,770).  

Machinery & Equipment

Assessments of machinery and equipment comprises of equipment like underground tanks, separators, and compressors. These items are in compressor stations, battery sites, etc.


Railway Property

The assessed value of railway property is based on a fixed dollar amount per kilometer. Based on the annual tonnage transported on the railway right-of-way.


Linear Property

Linear property is assessed using regulated rates and depreciation, which applies specifically to these property class. Each year the power portion of linear property assessment declines in accordance with the regulated depreciation schedules. Linear property assessments are completed by the Municipal Affairs - Industrial Branch Power and Pipeline. Their information is based off the Energy and Utilities Board (EUB) records and reported information from the oil companies.


Complaints or changes for railway or linear properties, must be directed to the Government of Alberta Industrial Branch. You can contact the Branch at calling (780) 427-2345 or faxing (780) 422-8302, our rite number is 310-0000.

Education Property Tax

All residential, farmland, and non-residential property owners pay education property taxes. People who rent or lease property may also pay property taxes indirectly through their monthly rent or lease payments. As the education system benefits all Albertans, even people without children in school also pay education property taxes.


Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program

Eligible senior homeowners can defer all or part of their municipal property taxes with a low-interest home equity plan. The Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program allows eligible senior homeowners to voluntarily defer all or part of their residential property taxes, including the education tax portion. This is done through a low-interest home equity loan with the Government of Alberta. If you qualify, Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program will pay your residential property taxes directly to your municipality on your behalf.


For more information, please refer to the Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program Fact Sheet. This has eligibility and information on how to apply. Or call:

Government of Alberta Education Property Tax Line

Toll Free: Dial 310-0000, then dial (780) 422-7125


Seniors with Low-Income

The Government of Alberta also provides financial assistance to low-income seniors through the Alberta Seniors Benefit. The Alberta Seniors Benefit provides monthly cash benefits, which can help seniors with their property taxes or other expenses. It provides support in addition to the federal benefits received including old age security and guaranteed income supplement.


Alberta Seniors Information

Toll Free: 1-800-642-3852